While I have not verified this myself one of my viewers on YouTube states that the Gecko Toolkit can be used to recover your iPhone password using Windows 8. According to his comment the following procedure will allow you to run Gecko.
Running Gecko Toolkit on Windows 8 will usually result in an INIT FAILED (mux thread) error. In order to correct this problem you will need adjust some settings. The steps are as follows.
- Open your Control Panel and select Programs/Java/Update.
- Uncheck the auto update option or any setting that will prevent Java from updating.
- Go to oldapps.com and download a version which is Java 7 update 4 or older.
- In Control Panel /Programs/Uninstall
- Uninstall the Java 7 update 5, 6, 7 etc. Anything version newer than 7, update 4 must go.
- Install the Java version that you downloaded.
Now you should be able to run the Gecko Toolkit. Thanks to whoever put the comment up on YouTube. For some reason I can’t seem to find it. If you contact me I will give you credit here for the contribution.