For everyone who has been patiently waiting for a solution that will allow them to recover their iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 password there is some good news. While the boot rom used with the A5 chip has yet to be cracked an old trick that lets you access your phone book on a locked iPhone has reappeared. By using the phones emergency dialer and a specific combination of buttons you will be able to access your contact information, recent call log and favorites.
This procedure will require some practice and timing. Don’t be discouraged if it takes several attempts. The video below demonstrates how to bypass the lock screen on an iPhone 4S running 6.0.1. This method is said to work on 6.1 as well and can be used to bypass the lock screen on an iPhone 5 as well. If you need to access the information on an earlier device you can use the Gecko Toolkit to fully recover your password and also boot past the “iPhone is disabled” screen as long as the device is capable of supporting the 5.0.1 software version. In the case of an iPhone 3G or iPod touch 2nd and 3rd generation you will only be able to get past the “iPod is disabled” screen and try entering your password again.
The steps that you must follow are demonstrated in the video. In case you prefer written instructions they are listed below.
1. First turn on slide to unlock the screen.
2. Click on the emergency call button.
3. Hold the power button down until the option to power off appears.
4. Click on the cancel option. You should notice that the top line where your battery and signal strength are displayed had changed color.
5. Dial 112 or 911 and immediately end the call.
6. Click the power button to the screen off.
7. Click the power button again so that the screen turns back on.
8. Slide to unlock the screen.
9. Press the emergency call button and prepare for the next step.
10. After three seconds have elapsed press and hold the power button.
11. You should now see the contact or recent calls screen. If the screen is black you pressed emergency call too soon. If slide to power off appears then you waited too long.
12. If successful continue holding the power button and proceed with the next step.
13. While holding the power button take a screen shot by pressing the home button and immediately release the power button as soon as the shutter clicks. You should now be able to view your contacts for as long as necessary.
Remember that if at first you don’t succeed this may take many attempts. The timing involved with steps 10 and 13 are crucial and can be difficult to master. Even after doing this the right way a few times it will still be tricky sometimes. Once you get used to it though you should have no problem bypassing the lock screen on your iPhone.